• Welcome to Atlas Freeshard

Register using Discord

Playing healer for the first time

!MP95b

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
I'm seriously considering playing a healer for the first time. What would be the recommended spec? I like 45 Pac, because of red pom and all the CC, but that leaves me with so little for mend or aug.

Ael

Reaction score
Realm
Albion
For RvR, the highest recommended spec is usually 44 Pac, as red PoM really isn't worth it for what you sacrifice elsewhere. This leaves room to get 31 Mending, which gives you the blue Greater Heal and the first Spread Heal. As long as you have an Aug Healer backing you up, it should be enough to carry the fight.

One thing to consider, as a first time Healer, is that the Pac role is generally considered far more complex and demanding than the Aug role. Many good Pac Healers started their journey as an Aug Healer, and respec'd later on once they learned the class, and what's demanded of each role. I imagine on Atlas, their most common spec will be 40 Aug, and 35 Mending for Cure Nearsight II.

Pedro

Reaction score
Realm
Midgard
Correct. Two of the main roles in a RvR group are CC and heals, in other realms they are different classes, in Midgard is the one, that's why it's an advanced class. It's your job to get the first insta aoe mez to win the initial engagement, keep the group healed, redo mezzes, keep healing, perform interrupts, etc.

Remember that the shaman in the group will have minimal heals as they are high aug for the buffs.

An Aug healer mainly focuses of healing and throws the group celerity every so many seconds.

Process

Reaction score
I like:

38 PacH, 33 Mend, 19 AugH

You get all the insta CC, you get the lvl 33 major heal, and you get first celerity for frontline if your AugH is tied up, and you get decent backup speed for the frontline as well. You also get a self S/C which helps your sham with conc pool. This spec doesn't give you the fast cure NS (shouldn't be your job, anyway).

I have always found going purple aoe mezz usually doesn't make a lot of sense, and if you don't have at least 33 mend your heals will be crappy.

If you were playing a PacH and were dying to get the fast ns cure, I would go 38P/35M/15A and just drop the first celerity.

shoke

Reaction score
Asks for advice, someone comments that your job is to land your insta aoe mezz...

/Facepalm

Howdypal

Reaction score
Realm
Albion
If you enjoy being in charge of cc then go pac, if not I would go aug as you will find groups either way. Personally I liked 36 mending 37 aug 15 pac quite a bit when I tried it out on Phoenix.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
OT: since you are not responding to the mate´s posts, i believe you are not aware what it means to play Healer... maybe you should begin instead with shamy? Or from a hibernian perspective... you should definetly play pachealer :cool::devilish:

succi

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
Most things above are wrong, the two specs will either be:

38P/35M/15A
36P/35M/18A

depending on whether you prefer celerity or a better root/insta ae stun

with celerity being 1k range and heals obviously being 2k range, the aug is often going to be too far away from melee, I would therefore go with the 18aug spec

Mendoza

Reaction score
Realm
Midgard
I have experimented a lot with healers on the live server and my favorite and most fun to play is the full pac:

48P/24M

If you run in random small man or 8man groups then whoever lands the better mezz wins the battle and with 48 pac you have the best chances to just do that. Also the 24 mend gives you okay healing and 2 insta heals in case the aug healer is occupied.

Howdypal

Reaction score
Realm
Albion
I see now that OP was considering going full pac, my apologies. It's a perfectly fine spec my first ever toon on live (jeez that was 19 years ago but I really enjoyed him, I feel old. Also thanks for reminding me I forgot to put him in my signature.) was a pac healer. I'm just not quick enough on the draw to be in charge of cc anymore so I don't enjoy it so I go high aug when I choose to play them these days, which is rare.

Valaraukar

Reaction score
Full pac (48 pac) worked like charm at the time of "original" 1.65, especially with sm bomb group. But I don't know how it will be here, it's too early to draw conclusion on RvR / PvP specs imho.
Since you have unlimited respecs just try them all and see which one suits better for you.

naezgul

Reaction score
Playing healer for the first time…playing healer for the very first time.
Sung to foreigners feels like the first time!

Vman

Reaction score
Realm
Midgard
38 pac fan here, i've played healer like 4-5 times since my DAoC journey began, but I think the highest RR has only been sub-RR8, though... Definitely high-pressure class with a ton of responsibility, usually the one driving in RvR, too. But my goodness, when that blanket mez lands and you watch your crew either 1)ae stun/pbae bomb the cluster of enemies (my personal favorite) or 2)watching my melee train melt each target one-by-one... those moments are glorious. But... I'd say a majority of the time, fights are going to be much more nuanced, so you can't always Leeroy into every fight relying on your insta ae mez, because you'll many times lose the range war being hit with some long-ass ranged confusion, so be prepared to kite around strategically, as needed, too.

Alright, shit, I may need to play pac heals again. I'm getting hyped for some 8v8, again :p

Siouxsie

Reaction score
Realm
Midgard
But... I'd say a majority of the time, fights are going to be much more nuanced, so you can't always Leeroy into every fight relying on your insta ae mez, because you'll many times lose the range war being hit with some long-ass ranged confusion, so be prepared to kite around strategically, as needed, too.
If bard instant amnesia gets a range nerf or make it castable only (which would be smart on Atlas team's part) then hopefully this won't be as much of a problem

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
Do you rly start again to cry? There is a thread for this topic.
Stop your missbehave now.

Cadebrennus

Reaction score
If bard instant amnesia gets a range nerf or make it castable only (which would be smart on Atlas team's part) then hopefully this won't be as much of a problem
Wow dude, chill on the constant OMGWTFNERFHIBZLULZ and please stick with the topic. Not every single topic has to segue into a "Nerf Hibz" post. Let the people talk about Healers

Amarath

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
I'm seriously considering playing a healer for the first time. What would be the recommended spec? I like 45 Pac, because of red pom and all the CC, but that leaves me with so little for mend or aug.
As someone else mentioned but ill repeat SPREAD HEAL. Its really the only heal there is. Not really, but really.