• Welcome to Atlas Freeshard

Register using Discord

No buff pots

Horus

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
Yes! Another unpopular suggestion from Horus :) But hear me out....
Certain classes have self buffs. This is by design. Buff potions are really nothing more than a nerf to self buffing classes. I remember on uthgard one of the best soloers was a warden. I even saw smite clerics be successful soloers. If no one has self buffs (other than self buffing classes) it levels the playing field and makes more toons solo viable...thus there is more solo action. Before you complain about not having self buffs, remember neither will your opponent so it is no different..Sure small man and 8 mans will but they will kill solos anyway. Yes it makes solo PvE a bit more challenging but that is not that big of deal...and maybe a good thing.

Stewbeedoo

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
If I read that again, I'll be sick. People get upset about solos here who would like to use buff pots. But are out and about in groups and are buffed up to their ears and kill every solo they meet. That begs the question. What bothers you about the fact that the solo that you just messed with the group uses buff pots. You should consider that there are players (including me) who don't have time to gamble all day, but only 1 to 2 or even 3 hours a day, if at all, and during this time we want to have fun playing too. And if you come back now then look for a group, then say, do you include scouts ranger or hunter or ns, infi and sb in your groups? And if so, how long do you do it with that then the one who only has a limited time to play says after half an hour, but now I have to get out again because the family is calling or work or something. So let's be honest, why should the gameplay be impaired when solo players use small buff pots.
I solo exclusively and don't want buff pots. My opinion is really based on what I have seen on Atlas so far. I have played Ranger and Hunter here where my self buffs don't matter at all vs pretty much all tanks, hybrids and assassins. Buff pots will just make those classes even stronger.

Anyway, the staff have decided that buff pots will be a thing, so no need to go postal over this.

naezgul

Reaction score
Sry dont understand the logic
Why majority who are against buff pots have to be let down in favor og the minority opinion and desires ????
In democracy majority wins ...
Sometimes what the majority wants ruins it for as
Yes! Another unpopular suggestion from Horus :) But hear me out....
Certain classes have self buffs. This is by design. Buff potions are really nothing more than a nerf to self buffing classes. I remember on uthgard one of the best soloers was a warden. I even saw smite clerics be successful soloers. If no one has self buffs (other than self buffing classes) it levels the playing field and makes more toons solo viable...thus there is more solo action. Before you complain about not having self buffs, remember neither will your opponent so it is no different..Sure small man and 8 mans will but they will kill solos anyway. Yes it makes solo PvE a bit more challenging but that is not that big of deal...and maybe a good thing.
This illustrates that pots ARE needed for others to compete. You have two classes clearly designed to be group oriented excelling and one being a top soloist.
I adhere to the belief that those against pots simply want there large advantage against others. Unwilling to give it up in lieu of others having a decent chance

Stewbeedoo

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
Sometimes what the majority wants ruins it for as

This illustrates that pots ARE needed for others to compete. You have two classes clearly designed to be group oriented excelling and one being a top soloist.
I adhere to the belief that those against pots simply want there large advantage against others. Unwilling to give it up in lieu of others having a decent chance
Our viewpoints are radically different. I have played 2 self buffing classes on Atlas that get routinely run over. So giving pots to all other classes is just a nerf to them. You are arguing like the self buffing classes are having an easy time and destroying their opponents.

naezgul

Reaction score
Our viewpoints are radically different. I have played 2 self buffing classes on Atlas that get routinely run over. So giving pots to all other classes is just a nerf to them. You are arguing like the self buffing classes are having an easy time and destroying their opponents.
What two classes? Context?
Is it the buffs that are the issue? Or another aspect of the classes? (Archery)

Stewbeedoo

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
What two classes? Context?
Is it the buffs that are the issue? Or another aspect of the classes? (Archery)
Yes, the 2 classes I referred to are archers - Ranger and Hunter. When looking at how gimp they are it is hard to say it is due to a single aspect of the class. And making changes to archery is a slippery slope - pretty quickly you can have grouped archers insta killing targets.

naezgul

Reaction score
Yes, the 2 classes I referred to are archers - Ranger and Hunter. When looking at how gimp they are it is hard to say it is due to a single aspect of the class. And making changes to archery is a slippery slope - pretty quickly you can have grouped archers insta killing targets.
I think the consensus will be that archers are gimp with or without buff pots for themselves and others

Blacksin

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
Seeing Atlas is Phoenix Lite, I just deleted Atlas Launcher and DAOC from my computer. You guys give into all the idiots and give shit buffs, and you will have no people playing your server. But you guys got to do what you gotta do. /quit

naezgul

Reaction score
Seeing Atlas is Phoenix Lite, I just deleted Atlas Launcher and DAOC from my computer. You guys give into all the idiots and give shit buffs, and you will have no people playing your server. But you guys got to do what you gotta do. /quit
Where’s my ball?

Gildar

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
gildar since i look into this forum i see you crying about buffs, but what you dont understand is, give us no buffs = no server.
let us our playstyle... when you love to play without buffs, go for it but dont demand it for everyone!
Dude... i dont cry at all ... i dont care about pot buffs for myself, i have a guild and many friends and every time i can get buffers in my grp so ...
But I believe i can give my personal opinion here ...
ANyway tell me a thing ... you want buff ... why ? If you solo you get buff but your opponent have the same, so ? What is the difference ? Buffed or not you and your enemies have the same upgrade ...

The truth ? Buff pots will damage ONLY self buff classes, as I already wrote before ...
Anyway, we will play as staff decide, so no worries.

Horus

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
The only arguments for buff pots that make any logical sense are:
1. Economy: ie make sure there is a money sink for endgame to encourage other aspects of playing (weak argument imo).
2. For solo PvE: This makes a bit more sense depending on the grind level. But even then that can be balances in other ways such as exp/mob bonuses etc.

Reaction score
The only arguments for buff pots that make any logical sense are:
1. Economy: ie make sure there is a money sink for endgame to encourage other aspects of playing (weak argument imo).
2. For solo PvE: This makes a bit more sense depending on the grind level. But even then that can be balances in other ways such as exp/mob bonuses etc.
I would like to add:

3. To speed up the game, ie. cast times, and swing/archery delays. The game is horrendously slow in classic settings without buffs.

On a separate note does anyone know what the current regen rates, and more importantly, movement speeds are set to? Are they also 1.65 or will they be set to higher values from whenever Mythic changed them to make the game less waist deep in molasses?

joha

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
this isnt about you guys! Its a game, accept the rules or leave it :D

Skorpa

Reaction score
Realm
Midgard
Theoretically not a solo game. However, since we are just theory crafting... Any "self-buffing class" can also just use potions and free up some spec points to strengthen their other specializations. For example, a cleric could go full Smite and still have around 20 in heals. With their baseline buffs and potion D/Q S/C they would still have a statistical advantage.