• Welcome to Atlas Freeshard

Register using Discord

Friar RvR viability discussion

Wuff

Reaction score
Realm
Albion
I hope some of you might be able to chip in with some enlightened feedback on the viability of Friars in 8man RvR.

There are a few possible cons of the friar that I am aware could impact them negatively:

1. Specialization issue that applies to most hybrids in DAoC at this patch level, bar a few exceptions: Being a healer/fighter, clerics are better healers than friars and pure (off)tanks are better than friars at melee tasks (+ friar does not have cc reduction, e.g. determination).

2. Friars do not receive more dex while levelling even though that this is the stat they need for staff damage and casting speed while healing.

They do however have access to cure NS and disease and I would imagine that being able to switch into melee for dps or peeling (side snare) is useful in some situations. Furthermore they have cold and heat resist buffs that will help vs caster setups.

So: will the optimal Alb 8man setups (melee, hybrid or caster) run a friar? Or would their spot go to either a pure melee class or a cleric?

Thanks

Jabstar

Reaction score
I think they changed the main stat for Friars to Dex on this server (could be wrong, i remember reading it somewhere)
edit: looked but couldn't find it - might have been another project

Saroi

Reaction score
I think they changed the main stat for Friars to Dex on this server (could be wrong, i remember reading it somewhere)
edit: looked but couldn't find it - might have been another project
They didn't change the main stat. They only changed Mastery of Arms(Attackspeed) RA to need Aug Dex 3 as pre instead of Aug Str. 3

Last edited:

Wellzy

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
What is the meta healer setup for albs? cleric cleric? or cleric friar? Friars seem pretty good at heal+peel, they have cure nearsight/disease. They also have a 6sec stun off their peel style. They have the same tools a merc has for peels and stuns.

Seems like they could be really useful in the back line to heal\peel, but can also join in on the assist train if the fight is under control. I think a good friar could really shine with these tools.

The HOT seems really powerful too, you can pre hot your grp as the fight starts. I dunno, I feel like friars toolkit doesn't get the attention it deserves?

DJ2000

Reaction score
In an Alb grp with a single Cleric, the cleric has to be Enh/Rej for the spec buffs, which almost forces the Friar to go 35rej/48enh with ~21staff.
The next major(43) or HoT(44) are out-of-reach if you value the staff snares.

With 2 clerics you could drop rej in favor of staff, but that is commonly considered to be a non-Meta build, but way more fun.

Like Wardens, they are kinda stuck with handling the dirty work (cures, heals, snares) in grp play.

Smallman and solo is a different story, though.

shoke

Reaction score
Well friar has

- very little utility
- average peels
- average heals
- trash RA kit

The only thing a friar brings are heat/cold/matter resists.

Phx gave them a million additional tools and the one thing that made them viable was buffing the endo redux chant. However, the second they did this, the entire server turned into alb tanker land.

That's the issue with Alb, the realm is on the verge of OP so the second you buff their useless classes (paladin, friar, etc) you have good risk of unbalancing the game.

naezgul

Reaction score
Well friar has

- very little utility
- average peels
- average heals
- trash RA kit

The only thing a friar brings are heat/cold/matter resists.

Phx gave them a million additional tools and the one thing that made them viable was buffing the endo redux chant. However, the second they did this, the entire server turned into alb tanker land.

That's the issue with Alb, the realm is on the verge of OP so the second you buff their useless classes (paladin, friar, etc) you have good risk of unbalancing the game.
Sounds like Phoenix simply elevated the wrong skills on the friar class

Howdypal

Reaction score
Realm
Albion
In 8 man with two healers you might as well have a friar for the second one for the resists, although running with 2 clerics gives you access to more insta heals and spread heals so I guess it's a tradeoff. A high rejuv friar with yellow resists can be pretty decent though if they know what they're doing.

shoke

Reaction score
You're missing out on additional insta heals, better heals and the cleric RA kit.

Friars are trash

Wellzy

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
You're missing out on additional insta heals, better heals and the cleric RA kit.

Friars are trash

Too bad, I really enjoy the class; fun to play. The healing allies or jumping on the melee is super fun.

But I don't want to be sitting at the PK spamming LFG for hours either.

I am starting to lean towards thurg as my main. I enjoy the pet mechanic and I think i will be able to get grps easier.

Jabstar

Reaction score
Don't decide after listening to something talking in hyperbole. Extract the information (if there is any) and then make your own decision based on a mix of aquired information and your willingness to disregard the negative parts.
Anyway! They'll still be a decent farm class :)

shoke

Reaction score
I mean if your objective is to group, friars are not the right class. Sure you'll get xp groups, prob get groups in raids cause you can heal, and you'll most likely get groups in zergs too.

However, if a group has to choose between a second cleric or a friar, they'll go for cleric 99% of the time.