• Welcome to Atlas Freeshard

Register using Discord

First time playing a ranger.

Howdypal

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
Hi, I've recently rolled a toon in all three realms. A SM, a pally (of course), and a ranger. This is my first time playing a ranger, I have played scout and hunter before so I have most of the basics down, but any tips on specs or strats that might be different from the other archers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cadebrennus

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently rolled a toon in all three realms. A SM, a pally (of course), and a ranger. This is my first time playing a ranger, I have played scout and hunter before so I have most of the basics down, but any tips on specs or strats that might be different from the other archers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Howdypal

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia

robeoke

Reaction score
The Drunken Ranger Guide is a must read.

My top tips for the PVE gods we call rangers:

1. Bow is your friend, especially while levelling. Keep the skill at or close to level, and your actual bow itself should be as close to 99% quality as possible if not 100. And never let it con less than yellow. I like player made MP great or heavy recurves.

2. Use the correct arrow damage type for the mob you are killing. Most mobs are weak to one type of damage.

3. Diamondback pierce 25, but I usually don't get it until I respecc at level 29/30 (I sacrifice some bow to get DB, and double up on bow training in the next few levels to get it back on track)

naezgul

Reaction score

1. Bow is your friend, especially while levelling. Keep the skill at or close to level, and your actual bow itself should be as close to 99% quality as possible if not 100. And never let it con less than yellow. I like player made MP great or heavy recurves.

2. Use the correct arrow damage type for the mob you are killing. Most mobs are weak to one type of damage.

3. Diamondback pierce 25, but I usually don't get it until I respecc at level 29/30 (I sacrifice some bow to get DB, and double up on bow training in the next few levels to get it back on track)
Keep bow at the highest crit shot available. Let it lag behind until the next level available.

Horus

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia

My tips on leveling up...as someone who solo leveled up many a Ranger on various classic shards

1. For Rogs choice, try to keep dex and quickness capped....next in line is con.
2. Always have a bow where the DPS is above or equal to your capped dps. Check quality as well. All things equal use the slowest speed bow.
3. As far as I am concerned, the goal is to never have to use melee weapons. Keep bow and pathfinding maxed, dump the rest into pierce or slash, whatever...you really don't want to use melee so styles don't matter much. I might even go with a small shield instead of an off hand weapon.
4. As soon as you get into your teens or so, take some time to craft your fletching up so you can make your own top tier arrows.
5. Use whatever stat /regen pots are available to augment your pathfinding buffs.
6. Doing the above you should be able to pull oranges all day long non stop if you have the correct arrow dmg type for the mob.

naezgul

Reaction score
My tips on leveling up...as someone who solo leveled up many a Ranger on various classic shards

1. For Rogs choice, try to keep dex and quickness capped....next in line is con.
2. Always have a bow where the DPS is above or equal to your capped dps. Check quality as well. All things equal use the slowest speed bow.
3. As far as I am concerned, the goal is to never have to use melee weapons. Keep bow and pathfinding maxed, dump the rest into pierce or slash, whatever...you really don't want to use melee so styles don't matter much. I might even go with a small shield instead of an off hand weapon.
4. As soon as you get into your teens or so, take some time to craft your fletching up so you can make your own top tier arrows.
5. Use whatever stat /regen pots are available to augment your pathfinding buffs.
6. Doing the above you should be able to pull oranges all day long non stop if you have the correct arrow dmg type for the mob.
This
You should rarely have to use you melee weapon.

Howdypal

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
Thanks for all of the advice guys it's been helping.

Horus

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
This
You should rarely have to use you melee weapon.
I'm finding leveling bow/pf spec very challenging now. It was ok u til last weekend. I don't know what changed. I'm in my low 20's .max bow.. pf lev-1. Max dex..max arrows. Yellows are a challenge...dare not try an orange..not sure what is going on..

Dstap21

Reaction score
Realm
Albion
Ranger is by far my favorite..
Debating going hib so i can make one but feel the time for finding fast xp groups is slow at least the times i play.

Molai

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
Make sure Bow is up to date and use the right arrow type. I´m 25 and pulling OJ`s nonstop

Messerjockel

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
Bow up level, pf up level and I find huge difference in damage.
for example, shooting yellow with crit for 600 and the next crit on same yellow mob type i shoot for 400.
there must be randomness in the damage formula.

messerjockel.

Catzilla

Reaction score
Realm
Midgard
Bow up level, pf up level and I find huge difference in damage.
for example, shooting yellow with crit for 600 and the next crit on same yellow mob type i shoot for 400.
there must be randomness in the damage formula.

messerjockel.
At comp 52 weapon (figure bow is the same) you will have 100%-150% dmg variance. Those dmg ceilings lower based on the thresh hold your comp spec is.