• Welcome to Atlas Freeshard

Register using Discord

few hunter questions

ntc

Reaction score
Realm
Midgard
never played a hunter and plan to at launch. few questions, excuse my ignorance. did they remove disease from lvl 32 pet, is that a nerf or an adjustment to reflect the patch level? is the af buff within BC spec or baseline? I have read a lot of information about BC buffs vs. charges. with the current form of the server, is the 40 q/d still better than charge/pots?

given these questions, viable specs people are thinking about? thanks

Catzilla

Reaction score
Realm
Midgard
never played a hunter and plan to at launch. few questions, excuse my ignorance. did they remove disease from lvl 32 pet, is that a nerf or an adjustment to reflect the patch level? is the af buff within BC spec or baseline? I have read a lot of information about BC buffs vs. charges. with the current form of the server, is the 40 q/d still better than charge/pots?

given these questions, viable specs people are thinking about? thanks
Ya disease was removed. AF buff is Base here. D/Q buffs are increased here. So Blue buff would add 63 (so even the lvl 30 d/q is slightly better than charge), Yellow 78 and Red 93.

oslo

Reaction score
Realm
Midgard
Is attacking pet following target if They go stealth ?

Siouxsie

Reaction score
Realm
Midgard
Removing disease from the pet was a mistake. Now, hunters have no chance against most classes.

Wellzy

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
I love what Atlas is doing for the vast majority of decisions, but I really feel the neutering of the archer classes is rather unfortunate.
No disease, side stun, and crit shot restrictions.

For people who love the archetype, they are in a position where they can't compete in 1v1 situation. They are relegated to pop shotting add on fights or forced to grp up with stealthers to carry them.

Wreckanishu

Reaction score
I love what Atlas is doing for the vast majority of decisions, but I really feel the neutering of the archer classes is rather unfortunate.
No disease, side stun, and crit shot restrictions.

For people who love the archetype, they are in a position where they can't compete in 1v1 situation. They are relegated to pop shotting add on fights or forced to grp up with stealthers to carry them.

Yet it's consistent with how archers were in classic though. Sometimes it's easy to forget that DAOC classes aren't, for the overwhelming majority of them, toons that you can hope to solo on and have 0 unfavorable match-ups. This being said, i think there is very little data on how archers actually do at the moment at lvl 50, given Atlas ruleset changes, beta state of dmg formulas and such, as well as the extremely low population centered mostly around stealthers/hybrids against mostly minstrels.

So maybe the point about archers will end up being valid, but tbh i think it's rather early to say...

Yes, minstrels. Yes, bonedancers.
But there are are 39 classes in the game. on most classes, you can't (nor should you i don't think) be able to just take anyone 1 on 1.

ntc

Reaction score
Realm
Midgard
I am def going hunter. Want the challenge and have played almost every stealther extensively except hunter. Just waiting on live, hope its coming soon I am almost in daoc withdrawal :)

Cadebrennus

Reaction score
Removing disease from the pet was a mistake. Now, hunters have no chance against most classes.
Why is it always doom and gloom with you? I did just fine with my Hunter on Phoenix without a pet disease. Hunters are already on a higher melee damage table than literally ALL of the sneaks, and even higher than a Thane lol. Their range is 100 less than a Ranger (do /groundset 100 to see the range difference). I just can't understand why you're so damn whiney about literally everything.

Catzilla

Reaction score
Realm
Midgard
Why is it always doom and gloom with you? I did just fine with my Hunter on Phoenix without a pet disease. Hunters are already on a higher melee damage table than literally ALL of the sneaks, and even higher than a Thane lol. Their range is 100 less than a Ranger (do /groundset 100 to see the range difference). I just can't understand why you're so damn whiney about literally everything.
PHX Hunter pet also ran FASTER than sprint :) But I can agree to seeing how Hunter plays out with no extras.

Dong Johnson

Reaction score
Realm
Albion
I am def going hunter. Want the challenge and have played almost every stealther extensively except hunter. Just waiting on live, hope its coming soon I am almost in daoc withdrawal :)
Hunters get a bad rap because the average player simply doesn't understand how to play them effectively. This is a class with a rear stun, side asr, anytime snare chain, a pet, and decent ranged damage.

Dakkhon

Reaction score
I said it in alb forums as well.....there are no free shards that like stealthers and they always get the nerf bat from the jump. PA, crit shot damage will always be nerfed bat because they do not like stealthers and people cry if they even get touched by a stealth class. So just remember that from the jump. Here SB's will do just fine and as far as archers Hib and mid will outshine scouts by legions. Self buffs will see to that. Those pot buffs are crap and scouts will be left behind.

They could learn a lot from phoenix by just having npc buff bots and call it a day but.........well already mentioned. So be prepared for a rough ride leveling and fighting in RVR. All self buffing classes have an advantage by far.

bm01

Atlas Team
Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
The reason why Scout is worse than Hunter and Ranger in 1.65 and in a pure solo context isn't just because of self buffs. Even if they had self buffs, they would still do between 40 and 50% less damage than the two others (taking the pet into account for the Hunter), and the shield would still not make up for it: 5% block chance, +28.5% at RR5, +11.35% with 277 dex, +6% from MoB2, -8~9% from defense penetration gives around 42.35% block chance, of which you lose 50% against your most common enemies. From a pure mathematical perspective, it simply doesn't work. Also too much value has been given to Slam (and incidentally slow bows) from the days the class was designed, a style with no to-hit bonus, very high endurance cost, that can be purged, and isn't even unique since everyone else except SB has more or less easy to use stuns their spec lines.

Last edited:

Wreckanishu

Reaction score
The reason why Scout is worse than Hunter and Ranger in 1.65 and in a pure solo context isn't just because of self buffs. Even if they had self buffs, they would still do between 40 and 50% less damage than the two others (taking the pet into account for the Hunter), and the shield would still not make up for it: 5% block chance, +28.5% at RR5, +11.35% with 277 dex, +6% from MoB2, -8~9% from defense penetration gives around 42.35% block chance, of which you lose 50% against your most common enemies. From a pure mathematical perspective, it simply doesn't work. Also too much value has been given to Slam (and incidentally slow bows) from the days the class was designed, a style with no to-hit bonus (18% miss rate yay), very high endurance cost, that can be purged, and isn't even unique since everyone else except SB has more or less easy to use stuns their spec lines.

That's very true. Defense penetration trumps a lot of the theory crafting and the dummy raw dps testing that people like to do. In a solo context, the fact that Scout works the way it does (which you described) makes it universally a worse soloer than the other two.

You could hit twice as hard on one class compared to another and it still wouldn't matter if 50% of your attacks are evaded. Especially if that class you are fighting is using DW (Ranger, Assassins) and cutting your own defense layer in half in return.

However, they do exceptionally well in a stealth group setting. If archers were actually grouped in visible groups, they'd also do great there, due to having excellent bow aptitudes, excellent guarding potential and the ability to decently spec in both bows and their melee line of choice without sacrificing one of the other over much.

So imo, they're a bit closed in that group sniper role that they're quite stellar at, with the added benefit of offering party members an anytime 9s stun, a great guard, and that's where it stops for them.

They're just not a good solo class, lacking the utility of a Hunter pet to deal with Casters, the Evade/block defense 50%, pen and dmg add of a Ranger.

Also, purge is 30 minutes here, so there will still be those times when you will be able to stun, pull out the bow for 2 more arrows and win fights that way..

People often time look at DAOC classes and evaluate their merit solely based on how many favorable match-ups they have in 1 on 1, and compare the classes that do the best against everything else and end up with a completely wrong baseline. If you compare Minstrel, Bone dancer to the other 37 classes, everything suck solo.

Similarly, while it's good sometimes to sort classes by archetype and how good they compare within archetypes, if you start comparing archers, well then everybody plays Rangers because they have the best bows (tied with scout), the best buffs (dps add/baselinestr/d/q,), the best melee (due to how Def Pen works). That sort of comparison fails to acknowledge that DAOC isn't designed as a solo warrior game, and that Albion Scouts can rely on very good infiltrators, and beyond excellent minstrels to group up with and form devastating/mobile stealth groups with..

That being said, you can still rack up kills in any settings solo as a scout due to how good the sniping is, but it will require playing in a specific way, chosing targets, and environments. If that fails, you can still murder people in a stealth group🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Zyfrig

Reaction score
Hunter is the only class whose pet should still go and get after the target stealths imo. It just makes a lot of sense to have a Hunter pet hunt stealthers like that. They are well trained canines!

naezgul

Reaction score
Hunter is the only class whose pet should still go and get after the target stealths imo. It just makes a lot of sense to have a Hunter pet hunt stealthers like that. They are well trained canines!
Bears have far better sense of smell