• Welcome to Atlas Freeshard

Register using Discord

C'mon Now

Freakzilla

Reaction score
I wont be mentioning other daoc servers, however I recently retired and decided it would be great to play again. I found another, what seemed to be popular place to play, yet there was quite a bit of negativity, and seemed pretty much dead. Understandably so, seeing how the community is ushered around from server to server. Yea, its an old ass game, but I would rather say that its matured and like fine wine! I often wonder if the intention is to just put a fork in it and call it dead all together. I do understand that people have their own idea about what patch level, and what QOL things are implemented, but ffs guys...summon everyone together and collaborate on ONE project. If only they could all work together to provide us with a long standing server to play on. Yea, its a pipe dream, but certainly not beyond reason. If you want to look at a perfect example of a longstanding, solid server for a game that has been around longer than any other game, look at UO Renaissance. What's getting old is the pushing of people from server to server. Regardless, I hope this will be the one to carry us thru.

Madae

Reaction score
Realm
Albion
DAoC tends to have a rather passionate community that seemingly all want different things. Some want it easier, some want it harder, and few can agree since it's a complicated game with numerous potential issues. Maybe things will change here, people will settle down and accept what they have to work with, but unless those developers are actively looking for "a job", or just to contribute, I doubt anyone could convince many of them to listen to someone else when they have the skills to create their own vision.

Pret

Reaction score
i think a healthy server over time is only possible with seasons and new/little bit different contents... like once per year evreybody start from scratch

Recoill

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
I understand OP but I just don't know that the end game and the RA progression system lends itself very well to extremely long running realms. The power gap gets really REALLY large, and DAoC has always had a bit of a min/max encouragement at max level. I just cannot really see a DAOC private server keeping a strong population for yeaaaaars and yeaaaars like some other PServers of other games.

Pret above mentioned seasonal, that might work. But on some level I think us players actually enjoy the resets that wipe the slate clean and let us all begin again on even ground.

Aph

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
Couldn’t agree more with the above. DAoC is most fun when the server is new and everyone is hyped, starting together.

After a year or so it simply becomes less interesting. Unless groups reroll themselves and keep their interest healthy through that, the server itself needs to be dynamic and ever changing (incremental stuff like tasks or dare I say it - events!).

This is the only reason Phoenix managed to keep players for a good while. A lot of people on these forums have ideas and theories about why Uthgard (2) declined; but honestly I think it declined because phoenix was upcoming and everyone was contemplating the fresh experience again.

Sure there is patch level and QoL, but like OP stated: if everyone starts on a server together the devs need to put in great effort to destroy it before a year passes (or a new shard is on the horizon).

Aph

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
Oh and seasonal Daoc is obviously an incredible idea. Would love to see some form of this, with only titles and perhaps some cosmetic/housing/guild like things rolling over into a new season.

Stringer

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
just a reminder on how big the anticipation for the uth relaunch was and how they bloody botched it which in the end resulted in it dying/other servers rising

Recoill

Reaction score
Realm
Hibernia
just a reminder on how big the anticipation for the uth relaunch was and how they bloody botched it which in the end resulted in it dying/other servers rising

I was so hyped at launch lol

LVPMGMZ.jpg

😂

Golain

Reaction score
Oh and seasonal Daoc is obviously an incredible idea. Would love to see some form of this, with only titles and perhaps some cosmetic/housing/guild like things rolling over into a new season.

There is something about "The climb" of progression that a lot of players attach & cling to. I've read numerous statements of people here on Atlas which state they've played on Uthgard, Phoenix and other shards including the retail game at different stages of its life. Being willing to grind over and over and over again for the sake of the game (PvE & RvR).

Then there is all the energy around the release of a game/server that lasts for multiple months before settling down into a more regular volume of energy. And from every description of every shard so far, eventually the shards dwindle and fade away for a multitude of reasons. If Atlas is offering a "classic 1.65" experience this will also be the case here eventually. Eventually it will fade.

Atlas could set a roadmap for 12,18,24 month seasons for example. However, like literally any change made to the game, some people will love it and some will hate it. I actually don't know how I feel about it myself. Still thinking about this as a concept in a MMO.

naezgul

Reaction score
Reboots /Seasons are a no go for me
I play far to little to want to always be leveling up 2/3 characters(RvR/crafter/farmer) and always be behind the bell curve with RR significantly where I never experience high level play with enhanced character
I know I’d generally never catch up to the Jones’s but the power gap is closed

fastndanja

Reaction score
RvR doesn't die because people are at a disadvantage in power. That is what numbers are for.

You just need simple incentives that encourage group formation and zerging. I ran zergs for Alb and we had a blast. The relationships build naturally; it doesn't take a heavy handed approach by devs.

Wanna know what killed it? Easy realm transfers. Zergs form consistently by name recognition. Often times on a given night the zerg is built the same way (main guild members w/ leader logon, and familiar realmmates see them and know the drill). They know they're going to get a group and hop in the same discord with sometimes 50+ people. Simple expectations.

When you stop seeing the familiar names/faces you now have to work to get in a group, and each time those expectations aren't met your steam library full of games w/ easy matchmaking or w/e you're into gives you an easy and relatively enjoyable path off the server.

I really am interested in the realm loyalty mechanic. I think it is a very positive move. Is it enough? Not sure.

I will tell you another thing. The elitist anti-realm premade fights take wind out of the sails for sure. When you have 50 people it doesn't matter, but having those type of numbers isn't always the case. When you're running with 2fg of casuals on the way to a keep objective, and see an 8v8 fight to join, then your elitist 8man realmmates see you join, stop fighting and allow the other elitist 8man to turn around and wipe your 2fg of noobs, people simply get confused at the entire point of the server. People don't like being wiped 8v16 anyway, but when you think you have an advantage and instead get wiped, with 8 of your realmmates standing watching you die, then afterwards that same 8man on your realm starts flaming people in your zerg, it wears people down over time.

Design around the casual player experience and the rest will work itself out. High skill sweaty players will find a way to dominate no matter the parameters - their knowledge and skill level make them nearly impervious to any incentive structure that could assist noobs anyway.

Last edited:

Zyfrig

Reaction score
RvR doesn't die because people are at a disadvantage in power. That is what numbers are for.

You just need simple incentives that encourage group formation and zerging. I ran zergs for Alb and we had a blast. The relationships build naturally; it doesn't take a heavy handed approach by devs.

Wanna know what killed it? Easy realm transfers. Zergs form consistently by name recognition. Often times on a given night the zerg is built the same way (main guild members w/ leader logon, and familiar realmmates see them and know the drill). They know they're going to get a group and hop in the same discord with sometimes 50+ people. Simple expectations.

When you stop seeing the familiar names/faces you now have to work to get in a group, and each time those expectations aren't met your steam library full of games w/ easy matchmaking or w/e you're into gives you an easy and relatively enjoyable path off the server.

I really am interested in the realm loyalty mechanic. I think it is a very positive move. Is it enough? Not sure.

I will tell you another thing. The elitist anti-realm premade fights take wind out of the sails for sure. When you have 50 people it doesn't matter, but having those type of numbers isn't always the case. When you're running with 2fg of casuals on the way to a keep objective, and see an 8v8 fight to join, then your elitist 8man realmmates see you join, stop fighting and allow the other elitist 8man to turn around and wipe your 2fg of noobs, people simply get confused at the entire point of the server. People don't like being wiped 8v16 anyway, but when you think you have an advantage and instead get wiped, with 8 of your realmmates standing watching you die, then afterwards that same 8man on your realm starts flaming people in your zerg, it wears people down over time.

Design around the casual player experience and the rest will work itself out. High skill sweaty players will find a way to dominate no matter the parameters - their knowledge and skill level make them nearly impervious to any incentive structure that could assist noobs anyway.

This is why zergs are an important aspect of the endgame content.

That said, equal emphasis must be laid on casual RvR at lower numbers. Not everyone likes to zerg and frankly there's nothing more boring than zerging it down every single day. All the community effort combined won't be enough to keep the player engagement alive if going out as a solo or smallman isn't appealing.